Boston CowParade

Boston CowParade Cow-Flags

The Boston CowParade (sic.) consists of 117 painted cows scattered around the city. This cow is known as the Tea Party Cow. It makes me think of the role of public art in a city, and the fact that Worcester does not seem to have very much of it. Sure, there are plenty of memorials and historic markers which are all very nice and good, and we’ll always have turtle boy, but what happens when a city (or country) forgets to make a conscious effort to make art a part of the city? Even only a few years after Cloud Gate was unveiled, can any Chicagoan image Chicago without it? Same question for the “Chicago Picasso.” Though I have never lived in New York City, Christo and Jeanne-Claude’s installation of The Gates leaves me profoundly saddened that I will never see them in Central Park again. I am already planning to visit their Over The River installation in Colorado in 2010. My sense is that public art matters a great deal, even though most would not be able to realize it.

Questions:
What examples of public art can you think of that are not memorials?
Do you feel like public art is worthy of taxpayer money?
Would anyone miss turtle boy?

This entry was posted in Day in the Life. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

6 Comments

1. Hannah
    Posted July 29, 2006 at 10:42 pm | Permalink

My favorite cow is the one with the MBTA map!

2. Posted July 30, 2006 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

My mother did a Bat Mitzvah a couple years ago and the theme was the Cow Parade… it was pretty cool.. the girl had her sign-in board picture taken with one of the full size ones and for favors everyone got to take hom a minature model…. it was pretty cool. it was like “Jessica’s CowParade” or something…

3. Diane
    Posted July 31, 2006 at 10:28 pm | Permalink

This past winter in the Mount Washington Valley in NH there was a “Snow People on Parade” art event, http://www.mwvevents.com/SnowPeopleOnParadePress2.html It was similar to the CowParade on a smaller scale. It was fun to see them throughout the valley.

4. Sarah Anderson
    Posted August 1, 2006 at 8:13 am | Permalink

oh boy!! look at this!! i think this is better than the snow people

5. Brita
    Posted August 1, 2006 at 10:53 am | Permalink

Granby, CT has someting similar to the Cow Parade this summer and fall. It is called “Giddy Up Granby” and local artisits have painted horses and ponys that will be around town. They are beautiful- just as good as any of the cows in Chicago a few years back. I’m glad to be moving to a town that values art. The horses will eventually be auctioned off and leave the community. I would love to see more permanent pieces of art throughout town. (As long as they don’t rust like the whole Skokie art bike path along McCormick.)

6. Susan
    Posted August 21, 2006 at 11:51 pm | Permalink

These cows make me ill and I’m sick of the whole dumb gimmick. It’s played.